Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Second Quarter Outside Reading Book Review



Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass, Little, Brown and Company, 2006
Genre: Fiction

In this book the main character Jeremy Fink is turning thirteen and he finds out that his father, that had passed away, has left him a box with the meaning of life inside it. The only problem is, the keys are lost and this box is not an ordinary box it takes four different keys to open it.Throughout the book you follow Jeremy and his best friend Lizzy through the journey to find the keys in time for Jeremy's birthday.

"This is an unforgettable book that you will want to give to someone the minute you reluctantly turn the final page."
- Book Page

Mass shows the streets of New Jersey from Jeremy's point of view as they are on the ultimate scavenger hunt to find the missing keys that could be anywhere. They travel all over New Jersey because of some unexpected trouble that they got into while on a search for the keys. The two friends are have always been inseparable but now more than ever they keep each other going even though it is rough.

Mass uses the much detail to describe each unusual place that Jeremy and Lizzie travel. She makes sure that no nook or cranny is left out and that the reader knows exactly where they are. She also takes care in describing her characters. When she described the characters I got a very clear image in my head of what the person looked like.

"Staring up at me are the engraved words THE MEANING OF LIFE: FOR JEREMY FINK TO OPEN ON HIS 13TH BIRTHDAY. I'd recognize my dad's handiwork anywhere." (13)

I really like this story and I would definitely recommend it. I got recommended it by my friend. The book has so many twists and turns and it makes you keep reading. The suspense killed me at points but it made me read faster, and until I couldn't open my eyes any longer. Mass throws so many things you wouldn't expect which make the book so much more fun. I really like that she had two friends that were opposite gender because my best friend is a boy. People that don't know us think that we are like dating and say it is so cute but then we just look at each other and if the whole we are just friends excuse doesn't work we say we are brother and sister or we are cousins! It works every time.




No comments: